Thursday, December 17, 2009

Brian turned 31 on Monday, December 14. He wasn't excited about it at all. So I wanted to give him the best birthday I could. I thought the perfect way to do that was to cook for him because that's all he does for people, though no one ever cooks for him. I was dreading it because I don't cook, but was determined. However, stumped about what to make, I wrote to Rilkean, asking for help. She suggested something warm and hearty because of the weather and listed a couple of things, including coq au vin, reminding me too that it's French. This is particularly cool because Brian is trained in classic French cuisine. I next turned to epicurious.com and searched recipes for coq au vin. I chose a classic version, mostly because it was fairly complex. Again, I never cook, but when I do, I am inherently adverse to cutting corners. I don't even buy frozen vegetables, opting instead to buy fresh in order to be forced to prepare them myself. 

I read this recipe lots of times, trying to sell myself on the idea, pumping myself up, the way I imagine a football coach tries to stir excitement and desire for a great performance from his boys before they hit the field for a game. I even showed it to Jenny, who reviewed it with me and pointed out that 97% of people who used it would again, and that it got three forks out of four, which is good.  Finally, I was ready.

The dinner was a complete success. As I've told a few people, this was my most ambitious culinary effort. It was complicated. And filled with so many steps. But it completely paid off. Brian was impressed and touched that I cooked for him.  He had a terrific birthday.

No comments: