Friday, August 15, 2008

Cones

If Crumbs is one of the best cupcake shops in New York City, then Cones may be the best for ice cream. Thursday was my day off, so I decided to check out a movie I was interested in solely because of a particular song featured in it. I headed to Greenwich for the IFC Theater, where I saw The Last Mistress, The Animation Festival, and now In Search of a Midnight Kiss, a movie about a lonely guy in L.A. in his late twenties who posts an ad on craigslist, looking for someone to spend New Year's Eve with. I thought the movie was cliched and was striving for long and interesting, engaging dialogue (it made me think of Clerks) but never got there. A few times I thought to myself, It wouldn't bother me to walk out on this movie, and I guess the guy next to me had the same idea, because he actually did walk out and never returned.

Anyway, I got to the Village early, so to kill time I bummed around the streets surrounding the theater when I came across Cones. Ice cream made fresh daily on location? Homemade whipped cream? Pictures in the window featuring German supermodel Heidi Klum enjoying a creamy treat as she leaves the shop and steps back out onto Bleecker? I was sold.

I don't do sorbet. If I'm gonna have a treat, I'm gonna do it right. There was a sorbet selection but I bypassed it for the ice cream flavors. Hmmm... banana, mate (Brazilian, I think it's pronouced mah tay), white chocolate, strawberry. I decided on dulce de leche in a cup. I always go for a cone but I was planning on enjoying popcorn at the movies; I didn't want to fill up on ice cream, and I never get whipped cream but because it was homemade I couldn't resist.

Heavenly. Dreamy. I enjoyed it so much. It was creamy and very rich. So rich in fact that I wondered briefly if I could finish it. This is a highly unusual thought for me, someone who has eaten cookies for dinner and cake for breakfast a handful of times. However I did complete every delicious spoonful and proceeded to gush about my discovery to anyone who would listen at work the next day. 

Two days later after work I made a special trip back to Cones to try another flavor: mint chip
 

No comments: